Sunday, August 26, 2007

What I Was Doing Instead of Cleaning My Garage


So, my garage has really gotten out of hand. I live in a house that has very little storage. I have vaulted ceilings so I don't even have attic space. We've lived here about 20 years and raised 6 kids here, so you can accumulate ALOT of "stuff" over that time. (Especially when 4 of those kids are married but live in tiny apartments and need to store stuff at mom and dad's until they have more room.) And especially when you have a problem throwing things away "that I may need or want....someday!" Suffice it to say, my garage is my main storage area and it has gotten really out of hand. It's been a long overdue project of mine to clean it. Everyday this week, I've been planning to, but quilting projects, etc. have been much more enticing.


Finally, Friday, my very organized son went out and just started throwing things away and cleaning up, but then quit when he had a bit of guilt hit him, worrying he was throwing things away that he shouldn't, so he stopped and told me it was my turn. Well, I was working on these blocks you see above and I really wanted to finish them, so I did and vowed I would start the garage on Saturday.

I did spend several hours cleaning my garage on Saturday, but have lots more to do, so that's my goal, is to get it finished this coming week....if I can stay out of my sewing room! It has felt so liberating, getting rid of "stuff" that's taking up space.
These blocks are the first three of 12 I am doing for the Patchwork Party 2007 I joined through Homespun Fabrics, just for fun.
********************************
Gratitudes
1. Good feelings of getting rid of "stuff" in the garage!
2. My friend at Craft Warehouse brought me free store copies of Quilt Magazines
3. My married kids came to dinner and spent time together.
4. Good friendships that bless my life!
5. Having a son help me learn more about blogging and the computer.

12 comments:

Silverthimble said...

Quilting is a fabulous distraction! It sounds like you have a plan to get that garage organized--in time! *VBG*

Patti said...

I see you got your sidebar organized - looks great! Either you did get the email I sent or your son help you - or both. Either way I know you must feel very satisfied that it turned out so nicely. I've been very motivated by having things listed on my sidebar. It feels so good to cross things off one by one as they are completed. I hope you find the same holds true for you.

Yesterday I got together with Cher - who mentioned that you'd emailed her too - and Holly from Canby. We had a marvelous time. Next time we hope Dot from Rantala Rags can join us. Let us know if you'd like to come to. Don't know what or when, but hopefully within the next couple months.

loulee said...

Your blocks look lovely and I can easily understand how they would be a distraction from clearing out the garage. Why not make yourself a deal, spend the morning clearing out and the afternoon stitching.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Oh, this is too close to home... only it is my whole house that needs decluttered, and I'd rather clean toilets, never mind the joy of quilting!

I discovered your blog today and will be sure to pop back and see how you make out with those blocks (and the garage -- which might also motivate me!?)

have a great, creative week

elsie

http://elsiequilts.blogspot.com

Ksenia said...

Great improvements on your blog layout! I should ask Zach to give me a tutorial too.

I like the comment that suggests making a deal with yourself "clean in the morning, quilt in the afternoon" -- those totally work for me. I'm loving seeing the progress you make on your work!

Heather said...

I love those blocks, they are really pretty :) I am glad you got your side bar lists going, they look great. It’ll be good to start crossing those off as you go! Thank you again for coming over Saturday to help me get the frame working, you are so sweet!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Hi Colleen, thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. I agree, so many minutes sewing, the rest of the day garagae cleaning, or with my attention span, maybe 2 hrs. cleaning, 1 hr. sewing, then repeat, several times a day. I like your blocks too.
If I had a UFO list on my sidebar, it would be way longer than one page (LOL).
Wanda

Joyce said...

Good for you getting your garage organized. We cleaned ours out and made it into a bedroom. The stuff just moved to the shed and kept on multiplying. Lol.

chq said...

I love your blocks - great colors!

Cherri

LuĂ­sa Silva said...

Beautiful blocks. They are a gret reward for a garage cleaning.

Rose Marie said...

It's hard to toss stuff, but my thought is if something hasn't been touched in 5 yrs. or more, then it is time to donate and there are no regrets. It is just so much easier to clean and move around with less stuff to trip over. Love those blocks.

Judith said...

Those blocks look lovely. I was tempted to do them too, but well I have more than enough on my quilting plate at the moment. I just bought fabric for 8 little quilt today. Will have to get a pic up from that stashbuying this weekend too.