Thursday, August 23, 2007

Surprises That Are Not A Surprise!

I have always LOVED surprises. I've always waited anxiously, anticipating what my husband will get me (knowing he has read my mind, of course, and he will get me exactly what I've been wishing for because he knows me so well....he will just know, right!) We've been married 30 years now and I think I've finally figured out...that's a fantasy. It was my birthday yesterday. Yes, but I'm at that age that I would like to totally ignore birthdays...... except it is quite nice to get something you've been wishing for. Last year I started giving some pretty big hints....so big I wrote out a list in detail (exact name of item, cost, website address of where to find it). I gave him about 15 ideas of things I would love (quilting related, of course) and knew what ever he chose, I would love it (off that list, of course). My DH, whom I do dearly love, and to give him total credit....he tries very hard to make me happy....last year got me exactly what HE'D been wanting. I know he really thought it was something I really wanted, too, so he thought he was SURPRISING me which he knows I love....I did not give him the reaction he was looking for. (I hope you're getting the right picture).

This year, to avoid any of that messiness from last year, I just put one thing (well actually, two but they were related) on my list. I wanted a ceiling fan for my sewing room and for the heater to be fixed. I LOVE my sewing room, but we don't have air conditioning and my room gets exposure to the sun and gets very uncomfortable in there. Standing fans tend to blow things around too much, so I've been longing for a ceiling fan in there. The heater in that room is an individual electric wall unit that hasn't worked for years. I've had to "bundle up" to go and sew in the winter time. So, my wonderful DH made all my wishes come true and got me exactly what I wanted (see boring photo below). So he "surprised me" with exactly what I had been wishing for.


Kind of a humorous side note with this wonderful present was a comment my daughter-in-law made who was watching me unwrap all my presents. (She has been married to my son for a year now.) She said, "So are these the kinds of presents I can look forward to getting when we've been married longer?" I didn't even realize how boring these gifts would look to someone else who had not been wishing for them & I hated to disillusion her in any way so....I'm just praying that my son can learn to read her mind.

10 comments:

MARCIE said...

Happy Birthday to you! You will enjoy that fan! I am not a good gift giver because I am too practical.

Unknown said...

Oh too funny, thanks for the giggle. If it's waht you wanted then it's the perfect gift. Happy Birthday, and thanks for stoppnig by my blog. Have added you to my feeds.

loulee said...

Happy birthday. I have to spell it out for my Hunney too! He's a fast learner.

Heather said...

I didn't realize it was your birthday yesterday Colleen! It sounds like you had a wonderful day, I am so glad :) A ceiling fan, that is perfect! Now you just need a little heater and you will be set year round :)

meggie said...

Happy Birthday Colleen!
Enjoyed your little story & am so glad you got what you wanted for your birthday!
Thankyou very much for visiting my blog, & leaving me a comment.

chq said...

I didn't even realized you had a blog!!! Happy Birthday again.

Cherri

Marie said...

Happy Birthday~I do what you do...hand my DH a list for all occassions (B-Day, Anniversary, Christmas). He hates to shop so this helps him out...One Christmas he actually asked me to wrap my gift :-) MEN!
Found your blog through Heather (she's a doll!). I too love to quilt, although cross stitch is taking over my life. I look forward to seeing the progress on your MIL quilt-so sweet of you to finish it~
Welcome to blogging!

Von said...

Hi Colleen,
I, too, found you thru Heather. :)
I've been married 28 years and relate all too well to your birthday story, lol!

Vicki W said...

Oh, that is so funny! One year my DH forgot my birthday. That wouldn't be so bad except that it falls near Labor Day weekend and the opening day of dove hunting season (my Mother's maiden name is "Dove" and the head-strong women of the family - that's all of us - are called the "Dove women" by the men.) He had lots of hints. He doesn't forget anymore and I buy my own presents - he gets me a card! Thanks for visiting my blog and welcome to blogland!

Quiltdivajulie said...

One of my favorite birthday presents was the ice maker for our refrigerator... Thanks so much for visiting my blog, hope you'll visit often! And happy belated birthday!