Friday, August 24, 2007

I Joined the Clothesline Club at Craft Warehouse

I decided it might be fun to join the "Clothesline Club" at our local Craft Warehouse. It's a club where we do a different project each month using Reproduction Fabric. I've been wanting to do some reproduction projects and thought this may be a fun way. Our most recent project was this reversible apron. We chose which fabrics we wanted to do it in and then we were supposed to add something to it to make it our "own" and they were going to judge them and you get a prize if they pick yours. I've never thought of myself as very creative so it's always a stretch for me to think of what would look good. Here's what I came up with which was the extent of my creativity. This was after going and picking out about 4 different opptions, bringing them home and trying them out to see what caught my eye.

I'm not too good with my photography so you can't see too well. It's a row of polka dotted ribbon and some little flower buttons and a row of narrow pink ric rac underneath. Well, of course, I didn't get picked, because there were some very creative things other women did which was fun to see. But It was still fun to do. The only disappointment I had was that it was called the "Perfect Fit Apron" because you draw owt the pattern by using measurements they tell you to take and it did NOT fit me perfectly. It bags out in the front and the waist was too long. I should have checked better before I finished the whole thing, but I felt confident with measuring like I did that it would work. When I got to the meeting, most of the women were complaining about the same thing. I was glad it just wasn't me.

Next months project is a picnic quilt. I needed 12 fat quarters to make it so I got those picked out. I was drawn to the pastels this time. Now I just need to find my sashing. I'm still trying to decide what color to do. Any suggestions?

8 comments:

Judith said...

Nice fabbies. I see you haven't been blogging yet for so long. Hope to see a lot more.

Marie said...

I really like the 30's fabrics, they seem to have made a come back. Your apron is great, even if it is not the proper fit.
Ohhh, I have so many of those fabrics (just love them). There are a bunch of 30's solids out now. I am sure that you could find a color that goes well with your selection.
Will you ever be making an old fashioned clothes pin bag???

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

If you want your sashing not such a high contrast, try one of the red reproduction prints. That's what I used on the border of the baby quilt on my blog.
Wanda

loulee said...

Your aprons and your fabric choices both look nice. I'm sure you'll find the right sashing.

Rose Marie said...

What about mauve or white for the sashing? Whatever you decide upon, the quilt will be lovely. Too bad about the apron fit but if you're really not happy about it, why not make a bag out of it instead?

Hailey said...

Hey mom, I don't know if I'm allowed to comment on here but I LOVED that apron. If you figure the measurements out better than what they gave you I would love to have some of those. I could pick out some fabric and send it to you or something. I'm in need of some more aprons to wear on my cooking endeavors in the kitchen. Love you!

Verenice said...

Colleen,
I have been checking out your projects. I can't believe you are taking on the quilt that was left by your step mom. You have a gift for seeing things put together. The club at the wharehouse sounds neat. Does it cater to beginners or only to people that have been sewing forever? It was fun having you look at our post. Do it any time :)

Heather said...

I like that apron, it’s really cute! I’ll have to come over and see all of these new fabrics you have been buying. The fat quarters you got are really pretty.