Tuesday, September 18, 2007

One of My Very First Quilts


I have always loved to quilt, but raising 6 children gave me very limited time to quilt for many years. It hasn't been until the last 6-8 years that I've really gotten back into it. What got me back into quilting initially was wanting to carry on my mother's tradition of making each of her children a quilt when they got married. So, the first major quilt I made was for my oldest son when he got married. (I'll have to scan that picture in, sometime....that was before digital cameras.) A year later, my daughter got married and this picture is the quilt I made her for her wedding. She loves blues and wanted a blue quilt.

I started keeping a journal of my quilts a year or two after I made these quilts, so I hadn't taken pictures of these first two quilts to begin with, but when I visited my daughter a few weeks ago, she got this quilt out and let us sleep with it on the guest bed so I finally got a picture of it. It brought back fond memories seeing it again. It's a special time, when your daughter is getting married and you're deep into wedding plans with her. All of those feelings and memories came rushing back when I saw it again. I just thought I'd share it with all of you since I just got a picture of it.

***********************
Gratitudes:
1. Fond memories of a special time that comes flooding back.
2. A heart to heart talk with a daughter.
3. The feeling of seasons changing and the crisp air of fall.
4. Taking a quilt to "show & tell" and getting nice compliments on it.
5. Hugs from a child that come unbidden.

6 comments:

loulee said...

What a beautiful quilt. Lovely memories too. I wish you many more of those memories.

MARCIE said...

I love blue and white quilts and yours is a beauty. I hope your kids love them and appreciate your work and the love that goes into them.

Heather said...

That is a very pretty quilt Colleen, I like it :) I am glad you were able to get a photo of it to share. I can’t wait to start our tablerunner next week!

chq said...

That is a beautiful quilt - I love blue! Amen on your grateful list, I am grateful to all of those things also.

Have a great weekend!

Cherri

Rose Marie said...

Blue and white and nine patches, what more can one ask for! It is a lovely memory quilt.

Jeanne said...

This one has two of my favorite blocks - nine patches and stars. It's a really pretty quilt!